There were two groups doing LSD (Long Slow Distance) runs last Sunday and i wanted to join one of them. The first group was “Team Galloway”, initiated by Carina of takbo.ph who would be doing a 37km LSD run based on the Jeff Galloway training method. I witnessed Carina and her team do the Galloway run successfully during the 32k Rizal Day Run last December 29 and all did a sub-four hour run. This time, they would be attempting 37K with this program:
PROGRAM: 5:1 (5 mins run at 6:30 pace, 1 min walk) for 30km
4:1 (4 mins run at 6:00 pace, kung keri =), 1 min walk) for the remaining kms.
Note: Others may set their sustainable pace
Without batting an eyelash, i immediately signed up. I needed the mileage in preparation for the upcoming Condura Marathon. No sooner after i signified my intention to join, another invitation appeared (at the takbo.ph website) from a second group led by Jet Paiso who will be doing another Galloway LSD with a longer distance of 45kms. They aptly called their group, “Calibre 45″. The calibre group were mostly takbo.ph runners training for the BDM 102 ultra run this coming March.
Now, i thought that this second group would be perfect for me because firstly, i would be running the full distance of the marathon and stretching the distance even further and secondly, their pace would be from 7:30 to 8:00 for the 5:1 ratio, a more comfortable pace for me than that of Carina’s Team Galloway group. It was in the morning of the run that i decided to join the Calibre group.
I tagged Betty and Tonette along with me, two of my regular running partners from our Runnex group who are still undecided to run Condura. The three of us met the rest of the group at McDonald’s, U.N. Avenue in Ermita at 3:00am.
Here are the highlights of the run:
– Our Route: Start at KM O (Rizal Park) to Roxas Blvd then left to Buendia Ave up to Kalayaan Bridge going to The Fort (Taguig). From The Fort to C-5 Road northbound on the way to Libis going to Marikina and back.
– Run started at 3:30am. Total Runners: 17
Tonette posing at KM 0
A short prayer before our LSD
Doc T, Mar and Emil
– While the faster runners did their own fast pace, the slower ones ran the Galloway program
– The distance from KM O to BHS at The Fort totaled 11kms. We had one stop over for some photo ops at the Petron Station, corner Buendia and Makati Ave. It was still pitch dark.
First Stop, Petron Buendia
– We met some more runners at BHS who were either running the Bull Run 10k Race or with the Team Galloway LSD group
Our 2nd stop, Bonifacio High Street where we met another group of LSD'ers
No Bullrun for us this time
– Did two stop-overs along C-5 Road on our way to Marikina, one at the Caltex Pasig footbridge and the other was the Shell station at the corner of Julia Vargas Street where we partook siopao, instant noodles, chocolates and whatever was available.
– Sun was up when we were past Tiendesitas
Taking a pose at Libis, near Eastwood City
Entering Marikina City
Betty and Tonette, the two thorns among the roses near Ortigas Ave. Extension
– Reach Marikina City near the front of SM Marikina which was 23 kms. Made our U-turn for the start of the final half.
At our turn-around bend just before reaching SM Marikina
– Tonette left the group at KM25 (Blue Ridge) as she continued her run towards Katipunan Ave. to her home in Diliman. She must have completed 29kms.
– Betty left the group at Julia Vargas (KM28) and continued her run home to Valle Verde. She did 29kms too.
– Rest of the group rested at Shell-Pasig and re-stocked our hydration flasks. Mar sustained a minor injury and wisely discontinued his run.
On one of the gas stations at C5 on our way back
At the bridge overlooking the Pasig River
Arrived back at The Fort, just after the Bull Run race was finished. Claimed our medals from BR (Bald Runner) for finishing his December 30 Rizal Day 32K race. Long chit-chat with the Takbo.ph runners who were still at The Fort.
A quick pose but long chit-chat at the Fort on our way back
– Continued our run from The Fort to Kalayaan Bridge towards Buendia. Made another stop near the Pacific Star Building for some rounds of Taho.
Back at Buendia with replenishment of taho courtesy of Rodel
– Long stretch of walking along Buendia Ave. The 5:1 ratio (5 minutes run: 1 minute walk) became reversed, 5 minutes walk: 1 minute run.
Doc T (right) having a good time
The "galloway" plan in the reverse. It's now more walking than running
Nearing Osmena Highway
– Reach the 40th KM mark at the corner of Buendia and Roxas Blvd.
– Ran the last 5 kms back to KM O.
– Completed a total distance of 44.8kms – 45kms depending on whose Garmin you’re looking at
At the finish (KM 0). Total distance: 44.8 kms
It was a good run over-all with just minor aches associated after an LSD. I did a 5k recovery run the following day and also did 30 minutes of Tae-bo aerobics at a class in QMC.
Congrats to all who joined the run: Rodel, Chris, Wilnar, Gab, Junar, Betty, Tonette, Gian, Emil, Cyrus, Jonathan, Angel, Jet (for initiating this LSD), Doc T, Mar and Joen.
See you all at Condura!