Last Saturday, the Executive Runners Club of the Philippines (RUNNEX) held a general membership meeting and among its agenda were the induction of its newest members and a special recognition to members who finished a marathon in the first half of 2010. Also on hand to grace the occasion were Dr. Aparicio ”Perry” Mequi, long-time mentor and adviser of Runnex and Dr. Vicente Valdepenas Jr., economist and member of the monetary board of the Central Bank.
The occasion was held at the Max Restaurant at the Quezon Memorial Circle and since the venue is within QMC’s running grounds, i decided to run there from my house and did a couple more rounds before attending the meeting at 7:00am.
I congratulate all the new members who were inducted and hoping that you enjoy the camaraderie, fun and social responsibilities of being a Runnex member. Back in the 80′s, a pre-requisite to being a member is that one should have finished at least one marathon before the membership committee can accept them. Now, the norm seems to be, “be a member now, and run the damn marathon later…the sooner, the better!”
For the first half of 2010, the following members have finished a marathon/ultramarathon:
1. Susan Lee – Condura her first marathon finish
2. Rene Villarta - Condura marathon.
3. Lito Duran - Condura
4. Pio Sugay - Condura
5. Mel Severino- Cebu Marathon, Condura, BDM 102km Ultramarathon, PAU 50k Ultra Run
6. Obet Alano - Condura
7. Jay Sabido – Condura and Dream Marathon
8. Norio Tanaka – Boston marathon 2010
9. Benny Jabanez – Dream Marathon
10. Reylynn Dela Paz – Dream Marathon
11. Dante Briones – Hong Kong Marathon
12. Dee Allas – Singapore Sundowm Marathon
Special mention goes to Benny Jabanez and Rylynne Dela Paz for topping both male and female categories of the TBR Dream Marathon (thebullrunner.com).
Best of luck too to those scheduled to run a marathon during the 2nd half of 2010!