I am fascinated by Scott Jurek’s amazing feats as he is one of the most accomplished distance runners in the history of the sport. He is mostly described as legendary because of his awesome achievements at the peak of his running career. Lately, Jurek has turned his extreme gift of ultrarunning into inspiring books and public speaking engagements.
On December 10 and 12, 2014, the man himself will be in the Philippines for a series of lectures as he’ll talk about maximizing your strength as a runner, his successful plant-based diet, nutrition, plus his successes and adversities in becoming one of the most successful ultra-marathoners in the world.
I won’t belabor anymore superlatives about Scott Jurek as the bio on his website, http://scottjurek.com speaks for itself in his many unsurpassed achievements and are sketched in the annals of ultramarathon history.
“Scott Jurek’s outstanding competitive resume includes victories in nearly all of ultrarunning’s elite trail and road events, including the historic 153-mile Spartathlon, the Hardrock 100, the Badwater 135-mile Ultramarathon, the Miwok 100K, and—his signature race—the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run, which he won a record seven straight times.
The Washington Times named him one of the top runners of the decade, Runner’s World awarded him a Hero of Running and Ultrarunning Magazine named him Ultra-Runner of the Year three times. In 2010, he set a new US all-surface record in the 24-Hour Run with 165.7 miles—6.5 marathons in one day—for which he was named USA Today’s Athlete of the Week.”
- United States record for 24-hour distance on all surfaces(165.7 Miles/266.01 Kilometers)
- Won the Spartathlon 152-mile (245km) race from Athens to Sparta, Greece three consecutive times (2006-2008)
- Won the Hardrock Hundred Mile Endurance Run, and held the record time for one year until Kyle Skaggs set a new record in 2008
- Won the Western States Endurance Run seven consecutive times (1999-2005), and held the record time (15:36:27 in 2004) until 2010
- Won the Badwater Ultramarathon twice (2005, 2006), and held the course record for two years (2005)
- Finished first three times (2002-2004) and second three times (2001, 2005, 2006) in the Miwok 100K Trail Race
- Won the Leona Divide 50 Mile Run four times (2000, 2001, 2002, 2004)
- Won the Diez Vista 50K Trail Run twice (2000, 2003)
- Won the montrail Ultra Cup series twice (2000, 2003)
- Selected as UltraRunning Magazine’s North American Male Ultrarunner of the Year in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2007
- 100 Mile Trail: 15:36, Western States Endurance Run 2004
- 100K Road: 7:28, GNC 100K 2001
- 50 Mile Trail: 6:21, Ice Age 50 Mile 1999
- 50 Mile Road: 5:50, GNC 2001
- 50K Trail: 3:04, Bendistillery 50K 1999
- 26.2 Mile Road Marathon: 2:38, Austin Marathon 2006
Aside from the above, he has been prominently featured in the New York Times bestseller, “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall.
Catch Scott Jurek’s Manila lectures at the Asian Development Bank (ADB) Theater, ADB Avenue, Ortigas Center, Mandaluyong City on December 10, 2014 at 5:00PM then he flies to Cebu City on December 12, 2014 to give his talk at the Cebu Parklane International Hotel also at 5:00PM.
Tickets at P950.00 each. See posters for more details!