Scott Jurek is our sport’s towering living legend! He is one of running’s catalyst not only in the U.S. but all around the world and ultra running is what it is today because of him! He has been acclaimed as the best ultra runner of his time, won almost all of the prestigious ultramarathons in the world and changed the whole sport.
As many of you are aware, Scott Jurek will be coming to Manila on December 10 and to Cebu City on the 12th, to give lectures about his rise in the sport of ultrarunning and about his famous vegan diet. His book, Eat and Run relays his experiences competing in 100-plus-mile ultra races and thriving on a plant-based nutrition where he shares the advantages of embracing this diet.
He is considered a pacesetter, an icon of distance running. His passion, brilliance and energy is the source of many an inspiration for ordinary runners to pursue the world of ultra running!
Meanwhile, i was pondering on what questions to ask him after he gives his lectures and this will be during the Q and A portion of his talk. I’m pretty sure that all sort of questions have been thrown his way about his vegan diet, training, ultra races, injuries, victories, running gear, nutrition, etc. so i’ll deviate a little and go for something off-base in my questions.
Here’s five (5) questions i would like to ask him:
1. Who among the present crop of ultra runners impresses you most? What accomplishment did he/she do that made you really impressed?
2. Who would you consider a “hero” in your life and why?
3. Has your wife Jenny, or your mother-in-law Lee, cooked any Filipino vegetable dishes that you liked? Have you tried the Ilocano dishes “Pinakbet” and “Dinengdeng”? (Jenny is half-Filipina, half- Japanese. Her mother and grandfather are from Ilocos Sur.)
4. If invited to run an ultra race here in the Philippines, would you oblige accepting running in one, let’s say a race organized by Frontrunner Magazine? How often do you accept offers when you race abroad?
5. What other sport would you have competed in, if you were not running ultra distances?
My “bonus” question:
6. Are you aware of boxing great, Manny Pacquiao? Do you think Manny can beat Floyd Mayweather if the latter accepts the challenge? 🙂
So, if you are attending his lectures, what questions are you going to ask him?
Please do share your questions on the comments section below and i just might include to ask these after his lecture.
And by the way, tickets for these lectures are still available. See poster and details at https://jazzrunner.wordpress.com/2014/11/14/scott-jurek-philippines-live-lecture-series/