For such a compact GPS wrist watch, the Suunto Ambit 2 is an exhaustive piece of engineering! It’s aimed not only for athletes but for the outdoor explorer, as well. The SUUNTO Ambit-2 and its more simplified version, the Ambit 2S are probably two of the best, if not the best brand GPS models for runners, cyclists, swimmers and is an excellent functional watch for the triathlete.
This was the gist of what the new Suunto Ambit2 and Ambit 2S does during their launching a few days ago at the Rockwell Mall in Makati City.
Out of the box. The Suunto Ambit-2
The back side of the Ambit 2
Ms. Mascy Cabuhat-Pineda (2nd from left), Brand Manager of Time Depot, distributors of the Suunto Ambit2 and 2S with Suunto Ambassadors (l-r) Andy Leuterio, Keshia Fule and Ige Lopez
Without further ado, these were some of my initial impressions of the watch: I was able to road test the Ambit 2 on a few runs and i would say that i was most impressed with how it was able to immediately lock for a satellite signal and it took just a second or two, even when i was under our garage!
The main format of the Gps watch
It’s the Exercise dial which you would want to press.
If Running is your thing, press “next”. It would ask you if you would use it with a HR belt, if not..skip then it would find the satellite which would just take a second or two.
It might be a chunky watch when you feel it on your wrist but when setting through the dials, the watch is very easy to use and navigate with the buttons mainly focused on the start (upper right) and next (middle) buttons.
I’ve used the Garmin 310 XT and the FR110 models in the past together with my present Soleus 1.0 GPS and i must say the the Ambit2 was more maneuverable and locks-in immediately to various configurations whether you want PACE, DISTANCE or TIME Elapsed as the main face of the watch.
The first main screen that you’ll be given is this: Elapsed time up on top, current pace in the middle, and average pace at the bottom. If you want to see your PACE as the dominant feature (middle), this is your screen.
If you want DISTANCE to be the dominant feature of the screen, just toggle to the “next” button and this screen appears. The bold numbers in the middle is the distance (dst) while the smaller ones below is the work-out time.
For me, this is my favorite pre-set screen which shows the work-out time in the middle and the distance covered in the bottom.
If you’re more concerned with your heart rate and using the watch’s accompanying HR monitor, this screen shows your current HR in the middle, average HR at the bottom, and the Performance Training Effect at the top.
Take note that the lower figures are customizable which can be changed at random by pressing the “view” button (lower left) during any of the above data screens.
If you want to exit from any of these data and go directly to the main screen, all one has to do is to press the “back lap” button on the upper right side of the watch until you reach the main screen. This will also automatically shut off the GPS so it conserves the life of the battery.
The Ambit2 has a battery life of up to 50 hours of recording time in GPS mode. However in such mode the recording rate is reduced to every one (1) minute. In standard 1-second recording mode, the Ambit2 gets 15 hours of recording time.
Moreover, there’s an online application called MOVESCOUNT (http://www.suunto.com/Support/Movescount/) which stores your training/racing activity online with the available details you want. You can follow your progress in your training activities with highly accurate tools to analyze your performance, improve your fitness or simply enjoy your achievements.
There are more tons of features which i haven’t tested or will be even able to do like the cycling part, indoor and outdoor swimming, trekking which features an Altimeter, Barometer and Weather forecasts. There is an application for Trail Running though, which i intend to use in my future trail runs.
The SUUNTO Ambit-2 retails for P35,000.00 (P40,000.00 for the Ambit-2 Sapphire) while the Amvit-2S costs P25,000.00.
In the meantime, i’m leaving you with some of the training and sports-specific functions that will be of great use to runners and triathletes.
- GPS-based speed, pace and distance
- Real-time, average and max. heart rate ♥
- Calories ♥
- Heart rate limits ♥
- Heart rate graph in real time ♥
- Peak Training Effect & Recovery Time ♥
- Manual & autolaps
- Countdown timer
- Interval timer
- GPS track analysis*
- Heart rate zones* ♥
- EPOC & V02 max values* ♥
- Swapping of sport while logging and exercise
- Preconfigured multisport modes
- Sports comparison*
- Post-analysis of multisport exercise by sport*
- Interactive map and charts by sport/section of an exercise*
- ANT+™ and Suunto ANT support for PODs
This product is ANT+™ certified.
Visit www.thisisant.com/directory for a list of compatible products.
- Responsive running pace/speed (FusedSpeed™)
- Running cadence with Foot POD
- Lap comparisons by each kilometer/mile*
- Ghost Runner (Suunto App)
- Marathon End-time Estimator (Suunto App)
- Multiple Bike POD support (Suunto ANT/ANT+™)
- Bike Power (W), average and maximum
- Bike Power 3 s, 10 s, 30 s
- Bike lap and lap maximum power
- Power distribution & graphs*
- Peak Power Curve for peak power outputs*
Bike Power requires use of optional ANT+™ bike power sensor.
- Swimming time by pool length, lap, total
- Swimming pace & distance
- Swimming stroke rate, count & type
- Automatic intervals
- Dynamic lap table with strokes, pace and durations*
- 1000+ free Suunto Apps for outdoors & training
- Up to 50 Apps pre-configurable in watch
- Logging of all App values for post-analysis
- Suunto Apps creation with:
- Chrono, GPS, HR, weather and altitude data ♥
- Running, cycling, swimming data
- Rich math functions, if/then logic, sound, backlight, etc.
* in Movescount.com
♥ requires use of optional Suunto ANT/ANT+™ or Suunto Dual Heart Rate Belt
From the running and multi-sport community
Suunto launches two new generation GPS watches – Ambit2 S and Ambit2 (Press Release)
Suunto unveils the second generation of Ambit outdoor GPS watches, the new line-up of Ambit2 S and the Ambit2. This creates a collection of Suunto GPS watches for every occassion — whether a multisport training session or a serious adventure.
Comments President of Suunto, Mikko Moilanen: “The Ambit got a tremendously positive response from consumers last year. To meet the needs of perfomance sports oriented users even better we felt that a lighter, slimmer GPS with sports-specific features but less focus on outdoor functionality was needed to complement the Ambit family. In addition, the rapidly advancing technology made it meaningful to update the Ambit family with new members already now.”
Ambit2 S – The GPS watch for athletes
The new Ambit2 S is a light and sleek GPS watch for multisport athletes that packs all the features needed for cycling, running, swimming and multisport training. The GPS provides accurate pace, route navigation and tracking, while the heart rate monitor lets you train within your ideal zone.
Suunto Ambit2 S
- Cycling: The new Suunto Ambit2 S will support power meters (ANT+) and offers various power measurement values and numerous options for in-depth analysis.
- Swimming: The Ambit2 S also offers comprehensive swimming functionality, including pace and distance, automatic intervals, stroke rate and swimming time related to different pool lengths. The Ambit2 S will also learn to recognize your swimming style, which makes performance analysis easier.
- Running: Runners benefit from highly accurate pace and distance thanks to FusedSpeed™, the Ambit’s accelerometer integrated GPS, as well as interval timer and autolaps for training.
- Multisport Training: Users can switch between sports, making the Suunto Ambit2 S ideal for recording your multisport training or race.
Ambit2 S – SRP Php 25,000
Ambit2 – The GPS for Explorers and Athletes
Suunto also launches the Ambit2, which builds on the success of the award-winning Suunto Ambit. It includes Suunto’s hallmark outdoor functions such as route navigation, barometric information, altimeter with FusedAltiTM, 3D compass and other outdoor specific features.
In addition the Ambit2 has all the training features of the Ambit2 S, above.
Packed in a glass fiber reinforced casing with a battery life of up to 50 hours in GPS mode, the Ambit2 is the ultimate watch for serious adventurers, explorers and multisport athletes. The Sapphire edition of the Ambit2, (pictured center) features a brushed steel bezel and sapphire crystal glass, adding some serious style to the Ambit2’s extreme functionality.
Comments Suunto ambassador and climber Ueli Steck: “In the mountains you need a watch you can rely on. I’ve been using Suunto products for many years and the Ambit2 is the ideal product out there for anyone serious about their mountain sports.”
App Zone and Movescount.com are also upgraded
Suunto is also upgrading the Suunto App Zone, the community forum where users can find and create free Apps for the Ambit GPS watches. Since it launched in November 2012, the App Zone has proved popular with users, who have created over 5,000 Apps so far. The upgrade gives Ambit owners the chance to create and share more advanced Apps. Suunto’s online sports community Movescount.com which hosts the App Zone, will also be updated to provide new tools for in-depth analysis, enhanced navigation and improved opportunities for sharing.
For more product details and full specs, visit www.suunto.com
For media inquiries, contact:
Phone: +632 7435220 loc 109 cell: +63 917 7933791
Ambit2 Silver and Black – SRP Php 35,000
Ambit2 Sapphire – SRP Php 40,000
Available at all TIME DEPOT stores