Sure, you read the Bull Runner or the Front Runner Magazine and you own a pair of running shoes. You run a few times a week and probably have finished a couple of 5k and 10k races, but are you a true runner—or just a weekend warrior? Take this quiz and find out.
- What would you call the thing the race organizer let you strap on your shoe laces before the start of a race? A. a Red Ribbon, B. a personalized tag; C. a D-tag
- Which of the following do you consider to be the greatest invention? A. the treadmill; B. sliced bread; C. the TV remote; D. the Garmin GPS watch.
- Do you own a piece of clothing that is made of Dri-fit material—and wear it in public?____Yes ____No
- Does your running schedule include trips to Corregidor Island, Tanay in Rizal, Cebu in the south or other provincial venues? ____Yes ____No
- Can you use terms like plantar fascitiis, tempo, carbo-loading and over-pronation in the course of a normal conversation? ____Yes ____No
- Do you know what PR and LSD stand for? ____Yes ____No
- Which of the following can be found in your book shelf? A. Runner’s World Magazine; B.What I Talk About When I talk about Running ; C. War and Peace; D. Born To Run; E. All of the above except C.
- True of False: Black toenails are a normal part of life.
- Which of the following people can you identify? A. Steve Jobs; B. Haile Gebrselassie; C. Moammar Khadaffy; D. Jinoe Gavan; E. All of the above, but a little uncertain about A and D.
- When you hear the word “stability” is running shoes the first thought that pops into your head? ____Yes ____No
- Which of the following is your favorite food? A. Jollibee Burger with fries; B. Pork Steak; C. Gourmet quail eggs; D. Spaghetti with meatballs.
- Complete the following sentence: The Jazzrunner is… A. A runner who plays jazz saxophone while running; B. A jazz enthusiast who sells illegal drugs to runners; C. A blogger who loves to run and listen to jazz music.
- The real purpose for MMDA street toilets is: A. Street beautification ; B. Hang-out for drivers; C. For use of male runners who want to relieve themselves during training on the roads; D. To honor Bayani Fernando.
- Which of the following would you like to see a quick cure for? A. Baldness; B. Illiotibial Band Syndrome; C. Under-arm odor.
- Complete the following sentence: Other than for running, I have worn running shoes… A. To the office; B. To Church; C. To the gym; D. All of the above.
- True or False: You can enumerate all your current PRs of your 5k, 10k, 15k, 21k and marathon races plus the site, month and year of each—but you forget anniversaries and birthdays.
- Your idea of a long run is: A. to the convenience store and back; B. One round around UP’s academic oval; C. Two rounds around Bonifacio High Street D. Anything over 16kms.
- Have you ever used the term “fart-lek” to a newbie runner and then get a response from her asking if that’s how to fart discreetly while running? ____Yes ____No
- In a social gathering, which of the following topics do you tend to discuss most frequently? A.Ways to cut your credit card spending; B. When your next race will be. C. Who you un-friended on your Facebook account lately;
- The greatest accomplishment of your life is: A. Finishing a marathon; B. Having Paris Hilton follow you on Twitter; C. Purchasing your first 2nd hand car; D. Getting a degree in Physiotherapy.
Now for the scoring: Give yourself two (2) points for each of the following responses:
- Of course
If you scored fewer than 25 points, you are not a true runner but you can bike with Pres. Noy. If you scored 25 to 40 points, you are a true runner. If you scored more than 40 points, you’re a true runner—but you need help!
So, you are a non-runner and are about to get married to a runner. Here’s a few pre-nuptial words of wisdom:
- Don’t expect him to be beside you in bed the moment you wake up in the morning. The early morning run is part of his ritual. You have to brush your hair and apply some make-up before going to work or the results are unpleasant. Same with a runner.
- He may be in a bad mood, grouchy or irritable when he heads out the door for a run. However, expect him to be sober or most likely happy and refreshed after he comes back. You may find yourself wishing that your spouse would go out on a run every time he feels grouchy.
- Runners are mostly collectors of running mementos. Expect her to accumulate race singlets and T-shirts than she’ll ever need and purchase new pairs of running shoes without discarding her old ones. However, if you donate these items to charity or give them away to your relatives without asking permission, there will be trouble!
- There will be pay-days when your spouse goes home and hands you his salary envelope and you notice the money short on what he usually hands you. This may be because he has paid some registration fees to enter some races or worst, he has purchased another pair of new running shoes! Expect the usual excuses, “at least i didn’t spend it for a GRO’s drinks or going on a night-out with friends.”
- If you’re attending a social function made up of runners, take a good book with you or bring your cellfone with built-in games to play with or seek out others who are non-runners like you.
- I hope you like pasta.
- Even though your spouse can run a sub-Piolo (47 mins) 10k, race day is at least 4 hours long. Expect on arriving 1 hour before the start, allow an hour for the race itself and 2 more hours for post race activities. Two hours? Yes, because you line up for the race freebies, you line up half-kilometer for a half-slice of Nature Valley bar, another half-kilometer for your picture to be taken by the official photographer and the endless picture taking with your running buddies, running team, with the Emcees, with the Showbiz people and additional photos for wacky poses! When running spouse finally decides to leave and invites you over at McDonald’s for breakfast, expect to find many more of his running friends inside and add an additional hour of stay there.
- If you’re used to hearing mass in the morning of a Sunday and expect him to be home on time from the races so you can hear mass together, forget it for reasons #7. Just schedule all activities in the afternoon.
- If you have spare time, enroll in a 2-week REFLEXOLOGY class as there will be times when spouse will ask you to knead and massage his aching muscles and sore heels. You will be able to save money from his regular massage at the Spa and you will be in his good graces forever!
- Never, ever say the word “Quit”, “that’s enough, we can take a cab” or “just walk if you can’t run anymore” during a race, specially in a 5k or 10k race. Be warned that runners do not take kindly to coaching tips or advices from non-running spouses specially on short distance races. The more you tell him to walk, the more he’ll run, no matter what.
- It’s inevitable that your spouse will encourage you to take up running. Eventually, you might even surpass his PRs in all distances, from the 5k to the 100 miler BDM. Don’t hold back thinking that you might hurt his ego. On the contrary, he’s going to be very proud of you.
Now, you’ll know why the man or woman you love loves running!
Despite dehydration and all, Carly still manages to smile at the last 250 meters of the recent 34th Milo Marathon and looks like she would be able to tackle another 50k distance. She finished the race in 4:26. She’s made up of steel, guts and an unparalleled tenacity for hard work to achieve her best.
Smile on Carly, we believe!:-)