As a runner who has frequently ran the roads and trails of Tanay, i definitely supported the Sierra 51050 Relay and Half-Marathon as it brought many to see all the great scenery (and run-walk the killer hills) Tanay has to offer!
The race venue was at the Ten Cents To Heaven Resort, a previous starting venue of a trail race i once participated in. Race started on an easy downhill slope but the fast yet easy stroll over a secondary concrete road turns havoc when you start climbing it back and it’s about 2 kms of continuous uphill to get to the main highway. After that, you’re in for another 16 kilometers of rolling hills!
Having ran a 16-kilometer training run the day before, and a 10k tempo run 2 days prior, i ran this race at a very relaxed pace, taking it easy on the downhills and walking the steepest uphills on a brisk pace, whenever possible. No hurries!
There’s really no easy way to describe running the Sierra 51050. Organized by Rundezvous Events, it is just something you have to experience yourself:
- Great venue for the race start and finish–the Ten Cents To Heaven Resort which is high above the mountains with a nice view of the Sierra Madre mountain range.
- Cool Baguio-like weather greeting the runners as they preferred to huddle inside the hall to keep warm rather than venturing outside just before race start.
- Major sponsors with their booths lined-up before the start. Freebies galore after the race. Thanks to Maxxed Running shoes, Light Water and Nutri Bar!
- Running and chatting with two “fabulous” running divas-bloggers with talks ranging from bird collection to ultramarathons. Chatting to these two made walking the uphills easier.
- Looking at all the Harley Davidsons and other powerful 500 cc motorbikes zoom past you along the highway.
- Beautiful backdrops whichever way you look. There’s always something new to gaze at and scenery seem to constantly change every 10 seconds.
- Looking at the relay runners tough it out with their support vehicles nearby shouting them some encouragements.
- Adequate water at various aid stations except for the last turn-around when they ran out of it.
- Making a new friend along the route where we discussed common friends, injuries and a hustler RD.
- A very festive atmosphere during the awarding ceremonies as gift of sponsors were raffled off! Too bad i didn’t win the Spyder Optic Shades.
- Finishers medal was nice, and the Finishers’ shirt was awesome! Hope they make it into a dri-fit shirt next time!
- Very dedicated race organizers who did a great job, despite the finish line fiasco which affected some of the leading runners. Congrats to Pedz, the “Running Atom”, Chris, Abet, Allan, Za, Irish, Nette and the whole Rundezvous Team.
If you live somewhere in the Metro Manila area and would like to go to out-of-town races which doesn’t take much time traveling too much, then this is DEFINITELY a race to check out not only because of its positive vibe, but because Tanay is a fun and cool place to be too!